IXYS Corporation, a specialist in power semiconductors, mixed-signal and digital ICs for power conversion and motion control applications, announced today the introduction of the PCX-7500-EX high-power laser diode driver/current source by its IXYS Colorado division. This instrument provides precision pulsed current with accurate microprocessor-based digital power control.
The PCX-7500-EX is an air-cooled, benchtop current source designed to drive laser diodes, bars and arrays at up to 450 amperes of current and 110 volts maximum forward voltage. Pulse widths are adjustable from 30 microseconds to 5,000 microseconds, with a frequency up to 10,000 hertz. The PCX-7500 is ideal for research, laboratory, scientific and industrial applications.
Using USB, Ethernet or RS-232 communication choices standard with the PCX-7500, users can easily develop automated testing and characterization configurations that can be stored in the instrument’s on-board memory. It may also be operated through its intuitive front panel controls. The color LCD provides immediate visual confirmation of all operating parameters.
The PCX-7500-EX builds on the proven design of the PCX-7500 current source. While the PCX-7500 offers various models to tailor the driver to the diode load depending upon its internal power supply, the PCX-7500-EX uses an external DC power supply to source the laser diode forward voltage. By matching the DC supply to the diode’s forward voltage, a single PCX-7500-EX current source can power a variety of laser diodes at full output current, from a single device to a 110 volt diode array.
- Output current from 10 amperes to 450 amperes
- Rise and fall times less than 15 microseconds
- Pulse widths from 30 microseconds to 5,000 microseconds
- Ability to drive both single diodes and arrays at forward voltages up to 110 volts, determined by input DC power supply voltage
- Diode and driver safety features, including overcurrent limit, open-load detection and diode steering (prevents reverse current)
- Simplified operation with intuitive touch screen interface
- Ethernet, USB and RS232 computer interfaces standard
- RoHS compliant