|Rockwell Laser Industries
|February 6, 2010
This seven module introductory level course covers laser safety requirements
in the most common type of laser environments. It is based upon the ANSI Z136.1(2007)
Standard along with relevant Federal (CDRH & OSHA) and State requirements.
The course will provide an introduction to laser safety at an entry-level basis.
The safety aspects will be applicable for those who operate, service and maintain
The basics of lasers will include beam output descriptions including units
of measurement. Techniques of safety will be presented and reinforced using
demonstrations, where appropriate. Laser bioeffects will be covered including
discussions of laser accidents with examples. The concepts of laser hazard classes
will be covered. Basic hazard analysis will conclude with eyewear filter (OD)
and hazard distance (NHZ) determinations. The course concludes with a review
of controls needed for safe laser operation.
- Introduction - (3 minutes) is a brief explanation of what
this series is about and the contents of the course.
- Module 1: Characteristics of Lasers and Laser Light -
(27 minutes) explains how lasers function and the characteristics of laser
light with an emphasis on how these characteristics affect laser safety.
- Module 2: Biological Effects on Human Skin and Eyes &
Non-Beam Hazards - (28 minutes) explains biological effects on human skin
and eyes and non-beam hazards
- Module 3: Laser Accidents - (27 minutes) explains how
laser accidents have occurred and how they can be avoided.
- Module 4: Laser Classifications - (23 minutes) explains
the classification of lasers into hazard classes and the types of hazards
associated with each class.
- Module 5: Laser Safety Standards - (23 minutes) explains
the two major laser safety standards used in the United States and how they
are applied to laser equipment and laser use situations.
- Module 6: Laser Hazard Analysis - (15 minutes) explains
the basics of laser hazard analysis.
- Module 7: Laser Control Measures - (27 minutes) explains
laser control measures and the requirements for a safe laser work environment.