The world's top laser experts will gather in National Harbor, Maryland to share innovations in lasers and emerging technologies at the 29th ANNUAL SCIENTIFIC CONFERENCE OF THE AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR LASER MEDICINE AND SURGERY (ASLMS). "LASER 09" will be held on April 3-5, 2009, at the Gaylord NationalTM Resort and Convention Center.
Headlining the scientific program are acknowledged leaders in the field who will unveil the latest research developments and clinical studies in laser medicine and surgery, as well as present promising devices and technologies poised to enhance disease detection and management. As the ASLMS conference is traditionally regarded as the premier forum for the introduction of the newest breakthroughs in laser diagnostics and related therapies, some of the research and techniques are only in the early stages of development.
In addition to more than 1,500 laser specialists in aesthetics, dermatology, ophthalmology, oncology, laryngology, gynecology and dentistry, about 150 industry exhibitors will be on hand to showcase their latest products.
This year's “hot topics” include, but are not limited to, the following talks:
- Basic Science: Corneal Surface Reconstruction. A novel light-activated, sutureless technology called photochemical tissue bonding to secure the amniotic membrane over corneal defects will be introduced.
- Pharmaco-Laser Therapy. Promising research findings will show how integrating dual photothermal and photochemical sensitizing agents into laser therapy can enhance tumor destruction and decrease the likelihood of tumor recurrence.
- Cosmetic Laser Treatment. The ability of a pulsed dye laser to lighten periorbital dark circles primarily due to increased melanin versus increased vascularity will be evaluated based on data from a split-face study.
- Photobiomodulation. The latest data on clinical applications of low level light irradiation as a potential treatment for reducing cholesterol and triglyceride serum levels; and the effects of light therapy on cancer cells will be discussed.
- The Skinny on Fat Reduction – Leading researchers in fat removal, body contouring and cellulite reduction will critically assess non-invasive technologies and techniques.
- Advanced Technologies in Head and Neck Cancers. Innovations in laser surgery for benign and malignant laryngeal disease will be presented.
This year's keynote speaker is THOMAS GUNDERSON, a managing director and senior research analyst at Piper Jaffray following medical technology companies. Mr. Gunderson's lecture entitled “Aesthetic Technology and Wall Street: Looking Good in Tough Times” will be delivered on Saturday, April 4th.