At the Photonics West 2022, Menhir Photonics presents, for the first time, a new extended version of its famous MENHIR-1550 SERIES. The system, known for its best noise performance and jitter level on the market, is now supported by unprecedented reliability and precision.
Photo of the MENHIR-1550 (from Menhir Photonics) with the main output fiber on the front panel. © Menhir Photonics AG
The MENHIR-1550 SERIES is the first femtosecond laser operating at 1550 nm with GHz repetition-rate and ultralow noise performance. A perfect combination of cutting-edge technology and reliability with simplicity and elegance: A laser that can be used in harsh industrial environments as well as in space.
It is a key element of future applications such as 5G and 6G testing, precision radar, or inter-satellite communication. As a precision time source, it is already used in major telescopes and particle accelerators around the world. Tomorrow, it will help to measure the components of the next generation telecom infrastructure as well as supporting a constant demand for better timing distribution.
The MENHIR-1550 is a small and ultrastable source of femtosecond pulses. It delivers a low-noise and low-jitter signal. Beyond timing, this signal can be used to drive high frequency analog-digital conversion in unprecedented quality, or to generate precision RF signals.
With three years of close contact with customers and partners, and after hundreds of laser systems delivered, Menhir Photonics is glad to offer a new extended version of the MENHIR-1550 SERIES. Thanks to all the gained know-how and experience, the product features the same state-of-the-art technology as in the previous series while offering greater performance and improved robustness.
Among new features are better passive stability, extended range of repetition rate down to 100 MHz and longer lifetime. The modular design of the laser enables faster assembly and mass production to support our customers’ growing need for OEM integration of this solution.
The MENHIR-1550 is an “all-in-one system” with control electronics, optical module and all features integrated into one box. The optical module is contained in a hermetically sealed and robust housing allowing applications in industrial and space environment like never before.
Photo of the OEM version of the MENHIR-1550 (from Menhir Photonics). This version has all the connections (inputs and outputs) on the back panel allowing easy and straightforward integration inside a 19” rack or within a system. © Menhir Photonics AG
Previous features with new level of quality
Suitable for a wide range of applications, such as synchronization electronics, microwave generation or telecommunication, from laboratory setup to operation in harsh environments, the MENHIR-1550 offers following features:
- Reliability and Robustness: By combining mature technologies and innovative concepts and by investing significant efforts in systems design, the MENHIR-1550 achieved unprecedented reliability and robustness as confirmed by extensive test series.
- Long lifetime: The new modular assembly was optimized to ensure the long lifetime of all its sub-assemblies and of the whole system, by using telecom grade components to offer lifetime exceeding already 3 years (i.e. Mean Time Between Failure).
- Three design version: Customers can now choose between different product versions depending on their application: laboratory platform with the main fiber output on the front panel (see photo 1), industrial version with all the inputs and output on the back panel for easy integration (see photos 2&3), and finally, a free-space version for special cases requiring high pulse energy.
- Larger range of repetition rate: The repetition rate range of the MENHIR-1550 is extended down to 100 MHz and up to 2.5 GHz, allowing a larger number of applications, especially in the field of non-linear optics and THz generation.
- Ultralow noise and ultimate precision: Menhir Photonics offers a 10-fold lower noise compared to competitors thanks to the improved laser design and further improved control electronics.
- Predictive maintenance and data logging: The system now includes a real-time clock and logging capabilities that support predictive maintenance of system. This feature will increase the system availability to ensure 24/7 operation for years.
The MENHIR-1550 is immediately available as a tabletop instrument or OEM version with a standard communication interface. For more information and detailed data, see our presentation at Photonics West 2022 (Menhir Photonics Booth #3117) or contact Menhir Photonics at [email protected] or visit the company website at https://menhir-photonics.com.
About Menhir Photonics
The Zurich based company, Menhir Photonics AG, provider of ultrafast laser solutions, has successfully sold its products to customers in Europe, USA and Asia, resulting in 300% more revenues since 2019. The company follows a growth path that focuses on increasing sales, expanding its customer base, and
broadening product applications. Menhir Photonics offers cutting edge ultrafast lasers and related photonics solutions thanks to the experienced team in this field. The company’s vision is to revolutionize the field ultrafast lasers by focusing on the reliability and robustness of our laser products to make them an essential tool for the industry.
Visit our website at https://menhir-photonics.com.