This results-orientated online e-learning programme covers the basic principles
and state-of-the-art concepts to increase the precision, accuracy and reliability
of machine tools and products. The flexible online format enables you to study
when and where you wish and at a pace that suits you.
Lecturers include world renowned experts in ultra precision from Cranfield
University, in addition to subject specialists at the Optoelectronics Technology
and Incubation Centre (OpTIC), the Optical Science Laboratory of University
College London, the Institute of Manufacturing at the University of Cambridge,
the University of Huddersfield and the Massachuchetts Institute of Technology
- Design of high-precision machines analysis, principles and techniques
- The deterministic performance of machine
- Kinematic/Semi-Kinematic design
- Materials for precision machine structures
- Thermal effects
- Assessment of machine tool dynamic performance
- Ultra precision polishing processes
- Ultra precision single-point diamond machining
- High-precision hard turning of ferrous components
- Surface texture and form measurement
- High-performance grinding of conventional and brittle materials
- Machine metrology and calibration.
Precision Engineering is divided into four sets of lectures,each
set consisting of between four and seven hours of lectures. Students are required
to successfully complete an assessment before moving on to the next lecture
set. Various course notes, patents, PDF’s and HTML links are all available to
download. Online support is provided and students are able to contact the lecturers
through an online contact area.
On successful completion of Online
Precision Engineering course, the delegate will be awarded a certificate
of course completion from Cranfield University Precision Engineering Centre.
Who is it for?
Precision Engineering is suitable for science and engineering professionals
with an interest in the development of ultra precision and structured surfaces
for high technology products. These online training options will allow practitioners
to enhance their professional development within their current employment.