In May 1960, Theodore Maiman first fired his revolutionary ruby laser design which, at the time, was described as “a solution looking for a problem”. Today, we are never far away from lasers, whether they are creating patterns on jeans, scanning our supermarket shopping, powering the internet or performing surgery; lasers are an integral part of our daily lives.
On 16 May 2020, the 60th anniversary of Maiman's significant achievement will be celebrated alongside International Day of Light (IDL), an annual global initiative. IDL “aims to raise awareness of the critical role light-based technologies play in our lives, elevating science, technology, art, and culture to help achieve the goals of UNESCO – education, equality, and peace.”
To mark the 60th anniversary of the invention of the laser, and the remarkable progress that has been made in laser technology in the last 60 years, the staff of global laser manufacturer Luxinar compiled a list of 60 interesting facts about the company and its lasers. Here are the top 10 facts:
10. We have sales and service offices in China, Germany, Italy, South Korea and USA.
9. The name “Luxinar” comes from “Lux” meaning light in Latin and “Sinar” meaning rays in Indonesian.
8. We won the Queen’s Award for Innovation in 2007 and for International Trade in 2011.
7. Our SR series, MULTISCAN HE and OEM 100iX CO2 lasers are IP66 rated to withstand dust, heat and water spray.
6. By the time you’ve finished reading this fact, our MULTISCAN vector system will have laser marked 3600 characters!
5. Our laser tubes have lifetimes of over 20000 operational hours with many still working after 15 years.
4. The strangest root cause of laser failure was a squirrel which shorted out a laser power supply!
3. We’ve laser scribed eggs so that a mayonnaise maker could ensure no eggshell entered the mix.
2. To create the perfect pint, we’ve laser etched head keepers onto the bases of beer glasses.
1. Our lasers are helping to reduce the need for packaging by marking directly onto fresh food.
To see Luxinar’s videos of Top 10 laser facts and A day in the life: