The Thermo ScientificTM ARLTM SMS-3500 is a turnkey laboratory workflow automation system that has been utilized to encourage process control laboratory efficiencies inside the metals and mining industries.
For those who require a comprehensive and integrated automation solution, the automation of multiple preparation spectrometers and machines gives them new opportunities.
An Evolution of Existing Automation Solutions
Since the early 1990s, Thermo Scientific’s robotized spectrometers have been continuously enhanced based on customer feedback and experiences.
Thermo Scientific has more than 700 systems installed in metals applications throughout the world, meaning that the company has an unchallenged reputation for performance and durability.
Building on this success, the ARL SMS-3500 system displays:
- The potential to utilize an extensive variety of products and competencies, such as robust robots that provide new automation solutions at the cutting edge of technology
- The commitment to see past the imprint of independent laboratory instrumentation, concentrating instead on complete workflow solutions
Single Source – One Partner, One Competence, One Responsibility
Thermo Scientific’s automation system is unique in developing and making optical emission (OES) and X-Ray fluorescence (XRF) spectrometers. The competence of the Company is not just restricted to single automation or analytical method. Instead, it spans complete systems provided with sample preparation as turnkey packages.
An Automation Product Designed with its Users in Mind
Simplicity of Operation
A similar platform that is utilized for the OXSAS analytical software for OES and XRF and spectrometers is the base of the ARL SMS-3500 automation software. A special and standardized software environment is offered by this commonality, allowing simplification with completely automated XRF and OES spectrometers.
Moreover, access to the complete range of automation user and sample tracking functions is offered by the single SMS system monitoring screen.
Flexible Instrument Integration and Comprehensive Analysis Modes
When two preparation machines employ two equivalent spectrometers, the concurrent preparation and evaluation of the samples is possible, thereby resulting in the highest sample throughput.
Either of the two preparation machines can prepare the samples, and either of the two spectrometers can examine them, thereby making sample cross transfer a standard. This guarantees improved availability 24/7 and all year round, as well as decreasing the response times.
When the sample needs to be quantified by XRF and OES, sequential processing employs twin XRF and OES configurations. Each spectrometer can be utilized offline for analytical technique development and tests.
The SMS software automatically regulates the instrument’s access privileges for the robot and the operator. The SMS software is a fundamental software command, thereby enabling the switching of equipment between automatic and manual modes.
Full Compliance with Security Regulations
The relevant CE conformity standards are adhered to in the design of the ARL SMS-3500 safety enclosure. Also, the system is consistent with electromagnetic norms and recommendations, and also robotics application norms.
A separate control box allows for the temporary pausing of robot action. This opens the access doors, enabling manual intervention within the system. Furthermore, it is possible to rapidly restart automatic operations without needing to restart the system.
Easy Service and Maintenance
It is possible to quickly detach every preparation machine or instrument without disrupting the automatic system operation. This allows rapid cleaning of the OES stand, for example.
Moreover, the spectrometers can slide into various park positions for manual operation over extended periods of time or for service. The SMS system does not need to be interrupted, particularly as the spectrometer’s supplies must not be disconnected.
In just a couple of minutes, the spectrometer can be slid back into the SMS, and automatic operation can continue as normal.
More Efficient Laboratory Automation
The integration of standalone sample preparation and analysis equipment into one or more small ARL SMS-3500 cells has facilitated the automation of the whole laboratory.
It is possible to instantaneously process samples that have been received via automated air tubes, resulting in considerable savings in costs and response times. Moreover, it is feasible to temporarily store these samples and process them according to the order of priority.
Material Analysis is the Job of Thermo ScientificTM; Quality is a Strength and Automation a Commitment
The ARL SMS-3500 System Features as Standard
- In order to avoid any bias in the prepared surface over time, standards are rotated by the robot prior to re-preparation using either of the two preparation machines.
- If required, standards and samples can be inverted by the inverting device prior to or post preparation.
- Standards can be introduced to, or removed from, the system courtesy of the manual introduction position. Production samples can also be introduced.
- Waiting positions allow for the prepared samples to be temporarily stored when they are waiting to be analyzed. This further optimizes throughput.
- Spectrometers always deliver quality results courtesy of the comprehensive instrument monitoring procedures. Rework and production scrap is avoided.
- A large magazine enables as many as 90 setting-up, type standards, and control samples. It is possible to dedicate these to a specific instrument or share them between the two spectrometers. It is also possible to use sections of the magazine to temporarily store incoming samples.
- For the purpose of cleaning the OES stand, conditioning samples are supported.
- Selected samples can be filed on a chute (for example, bad samples).
- Samples can be sorted and filed into eight boxes.
- Computer-controlled operator access doors and a control box to ensure total safety of the enclosure.
- Color lamps indicate the system and the instrument’s statuses.
- Sample presence can be detected early.
ARL SMS-3500 Automation for Twin OES or XRF | Thermo Scientific
ARL SMS-3500 Automation for Twin OES or XRF | Thermo Scientific. Video Credit: Thermo Fisher Scientific - Elemental Analyzers and Phase Analyzers
ARL SMS-3500-Automated OES and XRF Analyzer
ARL iSpark robot access for automatic analysis
ARL iSpark access for manual analysis
Park position for the ARL iSpark
Fixed magazine for standards
Manual introduction position
Production or SCT Sample filing in a box
Production or SCT Sample filing on a chute