The ProMetric® Y from Radiant Vision Systems is a series of high-performance imaging photometers developed for high-volume production testing of displays, keyboards, smartphones, notebooks, tablets, and lighting products.
ProMetric® Y Family
The ProMetric® Y provides dependable test results and analysis to enhance quality and control costs:
- Faster, more precise test analysis enhances yield
- Faster measurements lead to shorter cycle times
- Objective quantification is better than subjective manual inspection
The ProMetric® Y2 uses a scientific-grade 2-MP (1600 x 1200) CCD sensor that is thermoelectrically cooled to offer accurate, repeatable 12-bit measurements.
The Y16 offers more resolution with a 16-MP (4896 x 3264) CCD sensor, and the Y29 delivers even higher resolution with a 29-MP (6576 x 4384) CCD sensor. The Y43 offers the highest resolution with a 43 MP (8040 x 5360) CCD sensor. Each ProMetric® Y supports high-speed Ethernet and USB communications.
The ProMetric® Y Imaging Photometer is used for precise measurement of qualities of light across a display. It objectively quantifies uniformity values, spatial luminance, and contrast, along with defects like light leakage, mura, lines, dead pixels, and particles.
The ProMetric® Y with CCD resolution options up to 43 MP is suitable for capturing measurements at the pixel and subpixel for light output characterization. In emissive displays like mini LED, microLED, and OLED, independently emitting pixels can differ from one to the other. This results in non-uniformity in color or brightness that can deteriorate at different display bright states.
During a single measurement, the ProMetric® Y measures a whole display in precise detail across thousands of emissive pixels, achieving values for each pixel in the display.
The ProMetric® Y coupled with the TrueTest™ Software applies analysis regions automatically to distinctive symbols (whether alphanumeric or other shapes). Thresholds can be applied for target luminance values that enable separate measurement of symbol sets. It is possible to assess symbol brightness, inter- and intra-character consistency, and light leakage or reflections from symbols on neighboring surfaces.
Cosmetic Surface Defects
Applying photometric evaluation of mild variations of light, the ProMetric® Y can be used for automated visual examination of surfaces where reflections and contrast differences specify defects.
Using dynamic range and high resolution, the ProMetric® Y is capable of categorizing extremely subtle scratches, debris and particles, dents, smudges, missing or distorted elements, and overall surface evenness, applying tolerances for acceptable type and severity of defects.
Delivering Smart Technology™ Innovations that Include:
- Smart Control™ for fast, precise setup: Smart Control enables users to electronically modify both aperture and focus settings of their lens.
- Smart Calibration™ for automatic high-accuracy results: ProMetric® cameras provide a range of electronically controlled lenses, each calibrated over a broad range of working distances as well as aperture settings. The ProMetric® systems track aperture settings and focal distance, and automatically apply accurate flat field calibration, significantly streamlining setup and ensuring precise measurement results.
For extremely accurate light and color measurements that are similar to the values perceived by the human eye, Radiant lenses and cameras are calibrated to acquire absolute data in all the environments. Factory calibration processes are carried out on each Radiant camera to allow traceability to national standards such as PTB, NRL, ETL, and NIST.
Each pair of Radiant camera and lens can also be calibrated for exclusive applications, in both the factory and the field, guaranteeing consistency irrespective of variation in:
- Focal distance: Image scaling; flat-field calibration
- Device spectral power distribution (SPD): Luminance calibration; LED and white phosphor LED calibration; and color calibrations, for example, four-color calibration (based on RGB or single-color emitters) and one-color calibration
- Lensing effects: Distortion calibration (if relevant)
Key Features and Highlights
- Various lens options: 20 mm, 35 mm, 50 mm, 100 mm macro, and 200 mm
- High speed: Minimum measurement time (photopic) to 0.3 seconds
- IR measurements using the IR-PMY16, IR-PMY2, IR-PMY29, as well as IP-PMY43 radiometer models
- High resolution to 43 MP
- The ProMetric® control and analysis software comes as standard; the TrueTest™ Automated Visual Inspection Software and other software modules are optional
The ProMetric® software comprises API support, and offers full measurement control and Point-of-Interest/Region-of-Interest functionality. Furthermore, the ProMetric® Y imaging photometers are supported by the industry’s top product warranty, which includes direct access to the technical support team at Radiant Vision Systems to maximize the application utility.
For automatic testing, the ProMetric® Y is enhanced to function with the industry-leading TrueTest Software—and dedicated software modules—for high-volume manufacturing of smartphones, displays, notebooks, and more.
Fast, Small-Format Photometers for Display Testing
Before distortion calibration
After distortion calibration