EyeScan 3D Sensors
The third dimension is made accessible to the user by the new EyeScan 3D smart camera system.
The smart camera sensors can be used for a wide range of 3D applications:
- Quality control
- Robot guidance
- µ-accurate measurements
The benefits of EyeScan 3D for the user are:
- A pre-calibrated 3d-sensor, based on area scan or laser triangulation
- The system already includes the complete EyeVision 3D evaluation software. This can be programmed using Drag-and-Drop.
The EyeVision 3D software’s key function is capturing and evaluating 3D scans or ‘point clouds’.
EyeVision 3D has varying commands based on the point cloud for the following functions:
- Object recognition and counting
- Error recognition
- The carrying out of various measurements
The following article provides some examples of how 3D sensors can optimize the production process in order to lower production costs and enhance quality control.
Tire and Weld Seam Inspection
EyeVision 3D for Tire Production
A 100% quality check is pivotal in tire production. 3D inspections are also able to read black writing on a black tire, while simultaneously checking the surface for flaws.
EyeVision 3D for Weld Seam Inspection
EyeVision 3D checks for countersink free finish, weld seam joint or collapses, weld width and length, unequal sides, and holes, as well as surface pores.
Sealing Compound and Adhesive Bead Inspection
EyeVision 3D for Sealing Compound Inspection
EyeVision 3D inspects for the correct application of the sealing compound and checks the sealing compound’s position. The robot is guided by EyeVision and the EyeScan 3D sensor.
EyeVision 3D for the Inspection of Adhesive Applications
EyeVision 3D enables non-contact and non-destructive inspection immediately following application of the adhesive bead. It is suitable for all surfaces and glues. EyeVision 3D also recognizes such flaws as thickening, discontinuity, and adhesive bead position errors.
EyeVision 3D for PCB Inspection
During the soldering process, EyeVision 3D inspects and checks the component parts for position, presence, and alignment.
EyeVision 3D for Smart Phone Inspection
Small-format substrates such as smartphones can be inspected by EyeVision 3D. It measures wavelength-dependent transmissions of filter layers on glass substrates, as well as fixed component parts.
Groceries and Consumer Goods
EyeVision 3D for Groceries Inspection
Both the shape and size of fruits can be scanned by EyeVision 3D, which subsequently sorts them according to category. Rejection is prevented by this process.
EyeVision 3D for Inspection of Parts of Watches
EyeVision 3D analyzes shape-defects in areas such as corrugation, circularity, and cylindrical form.
Cast Metal and Gap Inspection
EyeVision 3D for Cast Metal Inspection
Cast metal parts are scanned by the 3D sensor, which then compares the scanned image with the CAD-data. Both the measurements and shape are inspected by EyeVision 3D during the production process.
EyeVision 3D for Gab Inspection
Different gap types, ranging from simple gaps, to projection-gaps, advances gaps, and gaps with a bottom, are inspected by EyeVision 3D.
Bin-Picking and Scan of Large Surfaces
EyeVision 3D for Bin-Picking
Component parts can be captured in every rotation and position by EyeVision 3D. It is also able to react to the objects’ changes in position. EyeVision 3D enables complete usage of the robot line.
EyeVision 3D for the Scan of Large Surfaces and Objects
Large surfaces can be scanned by EyeVision 3D, which then displays these undistorted by using the 3D Unrolling command. This is completed without requiring a robot or axis.
Bin-Picking with EyeVision 3D
- One of the industry’s most important applications is “bin-picking”, for which EyeVision 3D is particularly suited. As an example, EyeVision 3D can locate unsorted parts in a box and then use a robot gripper to pick up the part and feed it to a production machine. EyeVision 3D also sorts this part into the machine in the exact determined position and rotation.
- EyeVision 3D carries out an extraordinarily fast image capture of the object’s surface. 3D point clouds can then be directly used in the EyeVision 3D user interface in order to locate the respective positions of each of the various parts.
- With the 3D-Matching of the EyeVision 3D it is now possible to recognize with only one 3D sensor the shape and position of any object, which has been taught-in previously. Therefore even the gripping of complicated shapes and component parts is possible.
- Bin-picking is not the only aspect of the automotive and robotic industries which will benefit from these developments. Pick-and-place applications will also benefit. Once the 3D evaluation has been carried out, the user is also able to measure the geometrical characteristics on complex 3D objects.
EyeVision 3D Bin-Picking Video
This information has been sourced, reviewed and adapted from materials provided by EVT Eye Vision Technology.
For more information on this source, please visit EVT Eye Vision Technology.