- Includes background information on relevant international standards
- Describes maximum permissible exposures (MPEs), classification procedures, and manufacturer requirements in detail (including the differences between IEC and US requirements)-the first book on laser safety to do so
- Contains valuable information on the safety of LEDs and broadband sources
- Provides recent changes of the international laser safety standard
- Explains product specific laser safety standards and standards on eye protection
- Examines shortcomings of current standards and possible future developments
- Lists common misunderstandings in applying the standards and provides practical help by giving examples and case studies
- Serves manufacturers and individuals involved in standardization, testing, and defining national safety regulations, as well as laser safety officers and other users
Covering both underlying theory and practical applications, Laser Safety provides a unique and readily-understandable review of current laser safety. This resource explains in detail the biological effects of laser radiation, particularly on the eye, and the provisions and requirements of the international laser safety standard IEC 60825-1, including a full description of the recently revised system of laser classification. It elucidates the rationale for the often-complex laser emission and exposure limits given in the standard, and provides detailed guidance for using the standard to carry out quantitative laser assessments. The authors also discuss practical issues of risk assessment, safety controls, eye protection, and laser safety management.
This practical and comprehensive handbook will be useful for anyone involved in laser safety, including academic and medical researchers, laser manufacturers, and compliance officers.
Click here for further information