The MicroNIR™ PAT-W spectrometer is a fit-for-purpose near-infrared (NIR) analyzer for quality-by-design (QbD) manufacturing. The spectrometer is a rugged, scalable, next-generation system for real-time process monitoring in blend homogeneity, loss on drying, content uniformity, compaction and other process analytical technology (PAT) applications. With proven Viavi linear variable filter (LVF) technology, the PAT-W has the smallest form factor in the process monitoring instrument market in a fit-for-purpose design. This makes it perfect for use with processing equipment of various sizes, with the stability and performance to enable efficient and smart manufacturing.
The user-friendly MicroNIR™ PAT-W was designed for today's demanding GMP-regulated environments yet requires marginal system maintenance. There are no moving components or expensive fiber optic cables, thus enabling excellent instrument stability and performance in harsh process environments. Its stainless steel/brushed aluminum cabinet resists water and dust to IP67 standards and cleans easily.
- Non-invasive, non-destructive and real-time near-infrared analysis
- User-replaceable, rechargeable Li-ion battery with more than eight hours of nonstop run time
- User-selectable Wi-Fi or Ethernet for data communication and system control
- Integrated multi-axis triggering
- Trigger options for various applications: internal orientation timer, push button and external
- Washable, IP67-rated enclosure
- Real-time moving block standard deviation (MBSD) and %RSD analysis for end-point determinations for drying, granulation, blending and coating processes
- Integrated PC enables quick and secure store and forward of collected spectral data
- Blend uniformity
- Fluid bed drying
- Content uniformity
Food and Feed Manufacturing
- Nutritional assay
- Moisture content
- Reaction monitoring
The software suite allows for positioning flexibility from process/product development to manufacturing environments and features audit trails, encrypted secure data storage, comprehensive user management and a number of other capabilities needed for regulated GMP environments.
- The MicroNIR PAT control software enables easy data acquisition, instrument performance qualification per USP 1119 criteria, technique investigation, technique development, user management and the visualization of moving block standard deviation (MBSD) trends
- Viavi Unscrambler® X Lite regression and classification software offers a full set of chemometric tools for calibration model development and data analysis, supporting MBSD model development with % RSD and PCA-based blending tools
- The MicroNIR Process software is programmed for easy process monitoring of various process techniques from different MicroNIR spectrometers. Process Engineers can easily monitor collected data and trend results in real-time with simultaneous output of key process data to the plant control system.
Mounting and Process Integration
The MicroNIR PAT-W has been built with highest flexibility in mind to meet the numerous different criteria for process integration. It adds into a process three different mounts:
This includes a weld in base flange, a sapphire window, a 2” sanitary (hygienic) flange mount and a retaining ring with O-rings. The base flange is welded into a hole cut in the lid of a blender and then the window, sanitary flange mount and retaining ring are assembled. The PAT-W with an adaptable collet then secures against the window and a sanitary flange using a standard tri-clover clamp (or C-clamp). All pieces can be taken apart for easy cleaning and maintenance.
This mount allows a user to weld a mount into the process equipment and then attach the PAT-U using the threaded tip of the spectrometer. The threaded mount also has a removable window for easy cleaning and maintenance.
When used on a rotating blender, the PAT-W has an integrated nine-axis inertial measurement unit (IMU) that comprises of a three-axis magnetometer, a three-axis gyroscope and a three-axis accelerometer. The IMU enables very accurate and repeatable triggering of the PAT-W.
||Two integrated vacuum tungsten lamps
||Flood illumination/ 0° observer
|Input aperture dimensions
||2.5 x 3.0 mm
|Sample working distance
||0-15 mm from window
||Linear variable filter
||128-pixel InGaAs photodiode array
||30 µm x 250 µm/50 µm
||950 – 1650 nm (10,526 – 6060 cm-1)
||6.2 nm for 950-1650 nm
|Spectral bandwidth (FWHM)
||<1.25% of center wavelength (1% typical) (for example, @1000 nm, resolution is <12.5 nm)
|Dynamic range (max)
|Measurement time (typical)
||0.25 – 0.5 second
||10 ms typical, minimum 10 µsec, maximum limited by dark signal
||TCP/IP Cat5 Ethernet 802.11 g WiFi
||Less than 1.4 kg (3 lb)
||160 mm x 136 mm x 136 mm
(6.3 in x 5.37 in x 5.37 in)
||Battery: 7.5 V @6.4 Ah for >8 hr run time
External: 110-240 V AC
||Encrypted, Unsb, CSV, and SPC output
||Windows 8.1, 8, and 7
||MicroNIR PAT, Unscrambler X Lite, MicroNIR Process
||0 – 40 deg C (non-condensing)
||Stainless steel and aluminum: dust and waterproof, sealed and cleanable to IP67 standard
||Internal 9-axis IMU, external 24 V input
||Adaptable stainless steel tri-clover mount